Social media has completely transformed the communication landscape of Higher Education institutions by providing improved learning and teaching experiences. Here are some ways social media has impacted both students and teachers working in higher education:
It Encourages Online Learning
With the popular use of Social Media platforms, students are motivated and encouraged to learn. The use of YouTube to find educational videos, easy access to online notes, e-books, and learning via video calls are some of the major benefits which contribute to educational development. Remote learning from a reputed organization, no matter where you are in the world, is also one of the important things Social Media has made possible. There are also many study groups of different subjects online that students can join and gain knowledge from.
However, some researchers also say that social media reduces research and learning capability. With the use of Social Media, students nowadays are depending more and more on such platforms to gain knowledge and information, rather than searching for the same in journals, books, or notes. This means reading habits of students, together with their research and learning capabilities, are decreasing.
Social Media Is an Effective Device for Academic Performance
Social media platforms can also be successfully used for teamwork. For example, if you need to conduct research on a certain topic together with a team, it is easier for you to meet online and discuss it together. Students can connect to:
- Students that are in your course (in your cohort or years above or below)
- Students studying at other institutions in the same field
- Experts in your field
The Internet makes it easier to communicate with your classmates and groups for educational purposes. Teachers can also create accounts to communicate any changes in curriculum, to share online lectures, and to receive student feedback.
Benefits of Social Media in Education
Technology and social media are integral parts of daily life, and using them in the classroom is only natural nowadays. Every social media platform offers many ways to be used in the classroom, from holding live lectures to sharing announcements, and much more. Social media offers a more direct communication tool between teachers and students, who can ask or reply to questions.
Social media offers more e-learning opportunities, as well. As remote and online classes and jobs are becoming more popular, training students to work remote is an important lesson. Social media offers:
- Low cost communication. It can be a very cost effective communication medium which is usually free for its users. You can use it not only to communicate with students, but to promote things like new courses, events, and research advances.
- Branding. Social media is a wide-reaching tool that can help you reach a huge audience and get your university’s name out there on the internet, which is a very important feature.
- Relationships. The University and the staff can use social media to connect to current students, prospects, researchers, and other organizations.